This cake used to be called Green cake, thus the green marzipan. It is now called Swedish Princess Torte. It is delicious Marzipan cake using sponge cake in several layers filled with custard. On top and around is green marzipan which you can make from almond paste. I use ready to roll out marzipan and I colour it green using food colouring.
See notes for 2 additional decor idea. One simple, one extravagant. :)
Swedish Princess Cake ~ Marzipan Cake
- 300 g Ready to roll Marzipan paste
- 3 drops Green food colouring
- 8 large Eggs
- 2 Cup Almond Flour You can also use regular flour.
- 2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Tapioca flour You can use regular Corn starch.
- 1 Cup Melted Butter
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 3 Cups Full Cream milk
- 4 Egg yolks (large eggs)
- 3-4 tsp Tapioca flour You can use regular Corn starch.
- 5 tsp Vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 300 ml Cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Add green food colouring to marzipan and kneed until colour is even.
- Beat Egg whites with mixer on high setting. Gradually add 1 cup of Brown sugar and keep mixing until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and the remaining 1 cup of Brown sugar until thick and pale yellow.
- Gradually add butter and baking powder to the egg yolk and sugar concoction.
- Fold egg white and sugar concoction into egg yolk mixture.
- Gradually, add the flour. (Sift in if you are using unsifted flour).
- Divide batter into 3 equal parts (this depends on how you want to assemble the cake). Bake each part in the oven at the same time.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until soft top part springs back when gently pushed down from center.
- Cool the 3 separate sponge cake part completely.
Custard Filling Recipe
- Mix egg yolk and sugar in a bowl. Add the Tapioca starch.
- Heat the Full Cream milk without it boiling and add vanilla essence.
- Add the heated milk to sugar and egg yolk and mix it together.
- Heat the mixture on the stove to thicken it.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Mix in with the custard.
Assemble the cake in layers with custard filling.
- Assemble the cake when both sponge cake and custard filling are cooled completely.
- Assemble the 3 sponge cake layers on top of each other with thick vanilla custard in the middle.
- Press marzipan on top of the cake and around the side until it covers the cake completely.
Decorate the cake using berries of your choice and cake decorations.
- You can create small marzipan cookies and decorate the top of the cake. Add berries and cream. You can also use your favourite nuts. You can use cachous gold pearls. You can use Bling pearls silver medleys. Let your imagination guide you. :)