Gluten free option available (see notes at bottom of page).
Kvæfjordkake AKA Verdens beste, The World’s Best Cake
This is a Norwegian Meringue cake dubbed the WORLD'S BEST CAKE
Ingredients to make the Sponge
- 1/2 cup Butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks (large eggs)
- 1.5 cup Almond Flour You can use regular all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup Milk
Ingredients to make the Meringue
- 4 Egg whites (large eggs)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Almond Flakes
Ingredients to make the custard filling
- 2 cups Full Cream Milk
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks (large)
- 3 tbsp Tapioca flour You can also use corn starch
- 2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 300 ml Thickening Cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Prepare the Cake Batter:
- Mix the butter and granulated sugar together until pale and creamy. Add egg yolks one at a time. Mix in the milk. I use the mixmaster on a medium setting for this.
- Add vanilla essence, almond flour, and baking powder, and mix until well combined.
- Spread the batter evenly onto the prepared cake pan. (Note that the sponge will expand while it's in the oven).
Prepare the Meringue topping:
- In a mixing bowl, mix the egg whites on medium setting. Add the brown sugar gradually. Continue until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue on top of sponge. You can create peaks with the meringue for visual effects. Spread almond flakes on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Make the custard filling
- Mix egg yolk and sugar in a bowl. Add the Tapioca starch.
- Heat the Full Cream milk without it boiling and add vanilla essence.
- Add the heated milk to sugar and egg yolk and mix it together.
- Heat the mixture on the stove to thicken it.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Mix in with the custard.
Decorate the Cake:
- When the sponge has cooled down, slice in in two, separating the top from the base.
- Gently remove the top layer. Fill the middle with the custard cream. Assemble the top layer(meringue layer) back on top of the cake.
- Chill and Serve:
- Refrigerate the Kvæfjordkake for at least a couple of hours before serving. This allows the flavors to meld and the cake to set.
- Slice and Enjoy:
- Once chilled, slice the cake and serve. Enjoy the delicate layers, creamy filling, and crunchy almonds.
This is a gluten free option. You can of course use normal flour and corn starch if you don’t require gluten free.